Sunday, April 12, 2009

Easter Weekend

Charles and I enjoyed planting our ivy so much that we got an early Easter present. We went to our local nursery and purchased a dogwood. They were sold out of the dogwoods that are blooming so pretty right now, but they did have a Kosa Dogwood which is supposed to bloom late Spring to early summer. It took us a while to dig the hole for it - our soil is clay and so rocky, but after a little digging and a few scoops of good gardening soil it was planted in its new home...
We also purchased a Spirea. We had a little easier time planting it because we didn't have to deal with as many rocks in its spot...
The Spirea we found was filled with blooms and so pretty...
We are slowly (but hopefully surely) becoming gardeners...
This morning I awoke to a sweet card from Charles and one from Toula, and the Easter Bunny left a little basket filled with Charles's favorite candies and gum and tickets to an Iowa Cubs/Memphis Redbird game...
The Easter Bunny also left a little something for our favorite bunny...
Toula hopped right up to her basket and went right for the treats inside... After enjoying a few pieces of the dried fruit and rose hips mix, she investigated her basket a little...
Later in the morning, I added a little Easter to our guest bathroom, and we finished getting everything ready for lunch...We usually go to Mama and Jerry's for Easter lunch, but this year, I decided to cook for them. I found these cute Easter eggs at The Square Cupboard, so I used them for the table's centerpiece...Since the Easter Bunny always leaves baskets for Charles and me when we go to Mama's, I made a little Easter basket for Mama and Jerry and used them as the place cards at the table...
I cooked a baked ham, sweet potatoes, mashed potatoes, green bean casserole, deviled eggs, pink salad...
rolls and sweet tea...
and for dessert, a butter cake with chocolate icing. I was so excited that I got to use my Arthur Court pieces!
Charles did a great job of carving the ham...
Everyone said that they enjoyed lunch. We were so glad that Mama and Jerry came for Easter!
Thanks Mama and Jerry for our Easter money and for the money for our composter. I was so excited when I opened that egg that I ordered the composter immediately after they left!!
It started raining early to mid afternoon and has rained pretty much all day, but it has been the perfect type of rain for our newly planted ivy, dogwood and spirea. During a break in the rain, we went outside to check on things. We have noticed a little bird making a nest in our pink birdhouse, and today, we heard the baby birds chirping...
I was so excited! I told Charles that we had Easter birds!! It will be fun to watch them grow and fly out of their house.
We hope everyone had as good of an Easter as we did!

No comments: