Tuesday, April 21, 2009

We Got the Blues...

Saturday, Charles and I headed to Clarksdale, Mississippi, for the Juke Joint Festival. We had the best time!

We heard lots of great music! Musicians were set up all throughout the festival grounds...
This little kid was really feeling the music, and these bluesmen had a good time encouraging him to dance more...
I enjoyed taking a little time out of this performance to take a look in Miss Dee's...
There were lots of cute things in the store and in many of the other downtown stores. I haven't been shopping in Clarksdale since Mama and Daddy used to take me to the Gingerbread House to shop for clothes when I was little; I think we may need to make a shopping trip back to Clarksdale!

It was really good to see the young blues musicians performing. Charles and I had just seen a show or segment on television which highlighted the after school program which teaches the blues and how to play musical instruments to the kids in Clarksdale, and we actually saw them perform at the festival...
They did a great job!!

We saw lots of other interesting and fun things too.
I enjoyed the pig races. This is the same group which always came to the Mid-South Fair and have their pigs race for Oreos! There were five races to watch.
Some with big pigs...
Some with cute little black pigs...


Then both sets raced with hurdles...
That was really cute and funny to watch!
Then for the last race, the little pigs took a swim!

There were also dog riding monkeys which I just had to see!
Little monkeys are so cute, and these were all dressed up like cowboys riding their dog horses to herd goats. They actually let us in the corral, so I was up close to all the action!
It was too fun to watch!
We also were able to meet all kinds of other animals from Happy Time Farms. We were able to feed goats (which tickled as they ate the food out of your hand)...
and pet them too...
We saw Dolly the pot bellied pig... She squealed so loud when they put the dress on her. I'm surprised she couldn't be heard throughout the state!
We saw lots of little ducks...and a cute swimming goose...
She was actually really soft!
Best of all there were the cutest little bunnies!!Toula definitely needs a little friend!

In addition to the great music and fun, we also enjoyed a delicious lunch at The Dutch Oven, complete with chess pie, which was almost as good as Ma's!
There were even Segway rides at the festival...
It was fun but definitely felt weird! It took me quite a while to get used to the Segway!!
We had a great time at the Juke Joint Festival!

When we got home, my composter had been delivered; I was very excited! Sunday, we pulled all the parts out of the box...
In between the heavy downpours and claps of loud, close thunder, and by working through bouts of frustration, we managed to assemble the composter!
I was then able to add our first items to the new composter...
It's actually pretty fun to tumble the compost. You're supposed to turn the drum four to five times a couple of times a week by putting your hands in the deep in the groves and spinning it. I told Charles I feel like I am on The Price is Right spinning the big wheel!!
I'm glad our compost tumbler came in and will already be in use for Earth Day.

No comments: